Categories
podcasting

Cultural Conventions of Podcasting

Podcasting is a distinct medium, and it’s a good idea to listen to a lot of podcasts to figure out what you do and don’t like, what you want to emulate and what you want to do differently. But, in general, podcasting is…

Intimate. Podcasts meet people in their most intimate and domestic moments. I listen to podcasts when I’m walking alone, when I can’t sleep, when I’m doing chores around the house. You’re placing your message inside someone’s ears. Don’t be surprised when they become attached to it, or feel some ownership over it. Which brings us to…

Collaborative. Podcast audiences are attentive and engaged. They want to contribute to the conversation. Think about how to engage listeners and how to collect feedback, and what you plan to do with it when you get it. And if the thought of public engagement gives you hives, this may not be the mobilization medium for you.

Punk rock. Okay, I’m editorializing. But despite corporate encroachment into this space, podcasting is still a very low-barrier DIY mode of creation. We want to provide people with the best possible sound experience, but we don’t want to lose the ethos of independence that is central to the sound of podcasting. What makes your project unique, and how can you capture that with the audio signature of your show?